Member Meeting Minutes for June 3, 2017
From HackPittsburgh Wiki
Minutes by Agenda Topic
- Adam Casto
- Dave Coakley
- James Hyde
- John Lewis
- Paul Kyros
- Adam Longwill
- Luc Berger
- Bob Berger
- Eli Richter
Called to Order
- Called to Order At: 7:02pm
- Ideas to Help Maker community in light of TechShop closing.
- James Lomuscio
- Facebook page Nextshop
- James Lomuscio
- Expanding HackPGH into space next door
- This is going to be happening faster now
- Becky and Chad meeting with lawyer on Wed
- Turn HackPGH into 501c3
- Sprout Grant
- Joel talked to TechShop members about HackPGH as potential place for them
- The 30 day initiation process and Volunteer hours scare some people away.
- Donation instead of volunteering is an option
- Use HackPGH non profit status to open another shop. Joel has been offered $40,000 to create a new space.
- Create a scheduling process for tools.We will have to do that when we get enough members anyway.
- Keep HackPGH as a space for hobbyists. Pull in the hobbyists from TechShop, but not so much the people who rely on the tools for their business.
- Figure out a way to accomodate hobbyists and people who have a business. i3 Detroit Hackerspace does this.
- What does HackPGH want to become in a post TechShop world?
- Is the neighborhood HackPGH is in a concern?
- Bring in leaders of other Hackerspaces/Makerspaces to HackPGH and have a discussion how to best improve and change HackPGH.
- Define what it means to be a dick. Create actual list of rules.
- Modify our 30 day induction process?
- Let everyone in and have more severe rules to remove people if they create problems?
- Machines in greatest demand at TechShop according to current TechShop member.
- 1. Laser Cutter
- 2. CNC machine
- 3. Mills
- This TechShop member thinks that our lasercutter costs per minute are too much to do commercial production.
- Having another shop just for commercial production.
- Questions to General Membership:
- 1. What is HackPittsburgh to you
- 2. What do you want HackPGH to become?
- 3. what do you NOT want HackPGH to become?
- 4. If TechShop wasnt closing, how would you like HackPittsburgh to grow?
- Raise dues to $50 a month. Grandfather current members at $30 for a year.
- Eliminate the initiation fees.
- Revisit this in 1 year.
- Effective at midnight 6/4/2017
- 10 people in favor.
- None opposed
- 2 abstained
- Motion passes
- We currently have $13,695
- $4900 reserved for laser cutter. 6 months laser cutter has been paid for.
- $1000 reserved for switching to 501c3
- $4195 spending money
Move to Adjourn
- Joel motions
- Bob seconds
- Adjourned at: 8:37pm
Meeting notes by Geno