Member Meeting Minutes for July 3, 2019

From HackPittsburgh Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

HackPGH member’s meeting agenda for July 3rd, 2019

Call to order

  • Simon called the meeting to order at 7:45 PM.

Attendees

  • Simon Heath, President
  • Sean Guzek, Vice-President
  • Bethany Klick, Treasurer
  • Becky Zajdel, Secretary
  • Adam Longwill, Board Member
  • Chad Elish, awesome former President
  • Zuri Woods
  • Alex Reasinger
  • Phil Garrow
  • Kris Kanihiro
  • Tom Fetheron
  • Nur Hildirim
  • Joe Newcomer (via Google Hangouts)

Quote of the Day

  • "Organizations which design systems ... are constrained to produce designs which are copies of the communication structures of these organizations." -- Conway's Law (Conway wrote an assembler for the Burroughs model 220 computer called SAVE. The name SAVE was not an acronym, but a feature: programmers lost fewer punched card decks because they all had "SAVE" written on them.)

Old business

  • The vote for the fridge has passed, we just need to pick it up from Lowe's. Board is still working on this.
  • Robert brought a big bucket o' laptops to HackPGH. We will work on these to ensure that a lot of our classes can be taught without students having to bring in their own laptops.
  • Status on CNC Proposal(s)
    • We are awaiting quotes. Please see last meeting minutes for more detailed information.
  • Fresh Fest (August 10th)
    • Fresh Fest is the only Black-run beer fest in the country
    • We will make a few proofs with the Fresh Fest logo and make coasters and be sponsors
  • We want to make thank-you coasters for our 10-year anniversary party
    • Shop N' Save, Wilkins Township
    • Dad's Pub and Grub, "Kelvo"
    • Tyler Mountain Water, Doug Hupe
  • Explaining the research of Nur Yildirim
    • Please attend one of the four remaining research workshops! Dates are available through the Hack calendar.
  • Wild Apricot is about to rollout the 20% servicing charge for our monthly Payment Servicing Fee, raising our monthly charge to $108.
    • We will try to move to Maker Net. We will keep the membership apprised of any developments.
  • Adobe Creative Cloud status
    • We will look into purchasing from Tech Soup
      • Two licenses will be purchased!

New business

  • We want to clear the weeds from the hill (potentially with SWORDS), but keep enough foliage to ensure that Gene gets his privacy.
  • We considered having a garage sale, but the membership decided that it would be more prudent to sell items piecemeal on craigslist and/or Facebook marketplace.
  • Needed for the shop:
    • Soap refills
    • Containers for the soap-making class
    • Pressure nozzle refills
    • Resin refills
    • Medium-sized gloves
    • Rubbing/isopropyl alcohol
    • Earplugs (mountable container)
  • Another Swap Meet Day will be scheduled for August.
    • It was a successful event and those who participate will get volunteer hours.
  • Brenton Galbraith will be starting "woodworking office hours." He will be able to train people on everything except the wood lathe - that tool is on loan from Chris and cannot be used without his permission!
    • We will contact Chris about possibly setting up a monthly and/or recurring wood lathe training.
  • Phil is working on "donating" the holographic projector.
    • There are two museums in Garfield that may take it. Phil will contact them.
  • We want to update and centralize our tool manuals
    • Update them on the wiki
    • Print them and make them available via hard copy in the shop.
  • Safety problem
    • We have had a hard failure on one of the 3D printers!
    • DO NOT leave the 3D printers unattended. EVER.
  • A dust collection system was purchased! It is arriving this Tuesday.

Voting items

  • No voting items today.

Project updates

  • Alex did an awesome brass metal casting of our logo!

Events

Move to adjourns

  • Meeting was adjourned at 8:50 PM
  • Minutes written by Becky "The Icebox" Zajdel