Member Meeting Minutes for Jan 15, 2019

From HackPittsburgh Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Called to Order

  • The meeting was called to order at: 7:39 PM

Attendees

  • Chad Elish, President
  • Becky Zajdel, Secretary (via Google Hangouts)
  • Adam Longwill, Board Member
  • Bethany Klick, Treasurer
  • Phil Garrow
  • Rob Bedel
  • Tom Fetherston
  • Steve Owens
  • Jacque Parker
  • Alex Reasinger
  • Obstinate Guy
  • Joe Newcomer
  • Geno


New Members

Guest Introductions

Quote

"We did not come to fear the future. We came here to shape it." - Barack Obama

PSAs

  • GET YOUR FLU SHOT!
    • Please clean up after yourself.
    • Also, please let the board know if we are running low on shop supplies or kitchen items. Becky currently has the flu, but is creating a list so she and Bethany can go shopping next week!
  • One of the new rules is that children aged six and under are not welcome at HackPGH. This is a safety and insurance rule - we want to keep children and our members safe!
    • We have sent out an email about this to our members.
    • If you see a child six and under at the shop, you may politely approach the guardian and remind them of the rule, or simply report the issue to a Board Member.
      • Steve Owens suggested we print out a large format versions of our waiver and post them in front of each of the doors.

Past Events

  • Tools, training, and lots of fun things!

https://hackpgh.org/calendar/

Future Events

  • Maker Event called "PGH WinterHack" is being organized by Mpac.
    • February 23rd
    • Please contact Mpac on Slack ASAP if you are interested in participating in the event, especially if you wish to exhibit a project or item. We ask that you try to contact Mpac as soon as possible. If he receives twenty proposals by the 15th he's liable to accept your project straightaway, so please contact him SOON!

https://hackpgh.org/calendar/

Old Business

  • Elections
    • Nomination starts Tomorrow per our constitution.
    • How to Vote?
      • HOW/CONSTITUTION CHANGES: We can also institute ranked voting, and/or have an alternate who would take the winner's place if there is an issue or if they step down.
  • New Membership Level
    • The Board would like to create a new membership level. It will be free for people who volunteer at least 5 hours a week. Volunteering could mean anything from tool training to cleaning to building things. This needs to be secret (to the board), and capped at a certain amount of people. We will start by having only two people on this membership level and they will be good for six months.
    • This membership level would need to be voted on by the membership.
      • Beebo will lead the discussion concerning this new membership level and what requirements it will have.
        • Beebo has floor to discuss the options.
    • Board will send out a vote for this sometime after the meeting.
        • The Labor4membership channel is recommended to discuss this issue further.
  • Classes
    • A bunch of new classes on the way. We want to discuss with the members Akron's policy of splitting the proceeds 50/50 with the teacher as a possible incentive to bring in new classes to HackPGH.
      • We have a good number of people who will teach if this happens. Everyone wins.
    • Board will send out a vote for this sometime after the meeting.


  • CONSTITUTION
    • We have been listening to members on Slack and in person, and we want to create a more transparent constitution.
    • Updates?
  • Wild Apricot Issues
    • We think we resolved the RFID issues being turned on and off.

Shop Updates

  • Woodshop Build-Out Project Kickoff Meeting
    • CW Has the floor.
  • Outreach
    • Tustin Tot Lot
      • Meeting with City soon.
  • Tools
    • Request was made for someone to price out new equipment for wood and metal.

New Business

  • PGH Inclusive Innovation
    • Bethany Suggested that we use 3d printers for the Inclusive Innovation event
    • They want to work with us for an event.
    • Do we want to help? They can potentially give us a small budget.
    • It will be in March.
  • HackPGH 10 Year Party!
    • Party Planner?
    • DJs, Food, Music
    • Budget $

Voting Items

    • Alex Reasingers Kiln?
      • Ends on the 17th.
        • Members were reminded to vote
    • Election Nominations
      • Starts Tomorrow Wed Jan 16th
      • Ends Wed Feb 6th

Polls can be visited by going to

Project Updates

Recognition for AWESOMENESS

Thank you Brenton, Phil, Simon, and others for your continued efforts to update the shop.

Move to Adjourn

The meeting was adjourned at:

Minutes written by:

Adam "The Yellow Dart" Longwill