Shop Operations: Difference between revisions
|(20 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
is for .
* on the
* on the
* in garbage bags
* in garbage bagsin
bags are the , the .
, . , to .
Latest revision as of 18:28, 5 September 2020
Trash and Recycling
These instructions are also on the whiteboard facing the Jumonville Street entrance.
City trash collection for the shop is Monday night for Tuesday morning pickup. Recycling is collected every other week. To check if this is recycling week go to http://pittsburghpa.gov/dpw/environmental-services/collection-schedule.html and click "Central/Eastern - 2018 Refuse/Bulk and Recycling Pickup Schedule" to see the current calendar. The whiteboard should also have the dates for recycling written on it.
Garbage and recycling should be deposited on the sidewalk at the front of the building on Fifth Avenue, just west of the driveway entrance (see map below).
Check all of the following spots when taking out the trash (see map below):
- Blue plastic recycling bin for plastic & metals
- Laser-cut wood recycling bin for cardboard
- Tall silver trashcan under counter
- Small black plastic wastebasket (usually near coffee stuff)
- Electronics Workbench
- Metal area cylindrical garbage can
- Big metal garbage can
- Big gray garbage can
- Both Bathrooms
- Gravel parking lot big green plastic garbage can
Please adhere to the following when taking out the trash:
- All bags must be closed and less than 35 lbs
- We can’t put either the HackPGH trash bin or recycling bin out on the curb. All trash and recycling must be in plastic bags.
- For cardboard to be recycled a cardboard box may be used in place of a light blue plastic bag. Nothing else may be in this box except cardboard.
- Be careful when disposing of scrap wood, etc. City garbage collection does not take renovation refuse and may be confused about the scrap wood.
- Don't forget to put fresh garbage bags in! Trash bags are kept in the kitchen, either in the supply locker marked "garbage bags" or on the floor beneath the chrome rack in the kitchen area. Notify the board on Slack if we're out.
Protip: You may want to load bags of garbage into a car, pickup, or something with wheels, to bring them up and around to the front of the building.
If you have any doubt that all has gone well, check to see if any bags are left after the pickup. If anything is left, bring it back behind the building. We would rather find these bags ourselves than have our landlord tell us.
HackPGH has periodic "shop cleans" where members are encouraged to show up and clean together as a group activity. This is an excellent way to meet people, get some volunteer hours in, learn more about where to find things in the shop, and generally help build the HackPGH community. Shop cleans are usually on a Sunday afternoon. If you have schedule conflicts, it's perfectly okay to do some cleaning on your own, when you can. See here for tips and suggestions for what to clean: Cleaning and Shop Cleans
Clean Up After Yourself
Of course members are expected to clean up after themselves. A couple of specific points and tips:
- No food left out. Place food and food-related garbage (e.g. plates, takeout containers) in a garbage container with a lid.
- There is a pedal-operated wastebasket under the kitchen counter/bar.
- There is a regular metal trash can with a lid in the wood/metal side of the shop.
- Note that many food containers are not recyclable. In particular, pizza boxes are not recyclable.
- Use the compressed air hose to spray dust off tools after using.
- There is a compressed air hose near the door between the two sides of the shop, on the metal/woodworking area. Usually it has a sprayer attachment,
- Usually the compressed air hose has an air trigger nozzle in it, if not you can find one on the table next to the air hose. It looks like this:
- The shop vac is in the woodworking area. Use it to clean up sawdust, etc.