Member Meeting Minutes for Sept 6, 2017

From HackPittsburgh Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes by Agenda Topic

  • Attendeese
    • Chad
    • Geno
    • Dave Coakley
    • James Hyde
    • Joachim
    • Adam Casto
    • Eli
    • Adam Longwill
    • Becky
    • Josh
    • Josh Smith
    • Sam Kusic
    • David

Called to Order

Called to Order At: 7:31pm

New/Potential Members

  • Josh
    • General Tinkerer

Previous Events/Classes

Learning Tracks / Classes

  • Teaching classes
    • Instructors can trade their time for:
      • Volunteer hours
      • 1 month membership
      • A class at cost
    • There is a new form and process.
    • Will be on site soon.

Potential Events/Talks/Classes

  • Soldering Class
    • Non Arduino electronics kit
    • Design our own PCB eventually
    • Geno, Bob, and Cathy will work on it
    • Sometime in October
  • Fidget Spinner class for kids
    • Dave Coakley and Rob Martin
  • Intro to Biosignals
    • James Hyde
      • November or December
  • Intro to Czech and Mandarin
    • Becky
  • Learn to Tune Your Piano
    • Chad
  • Intro to CPR
    • Becky and James

Shop Projects / Updates

  • Autonomous Power Wheels
    • Maker Faire is Sep 23,24
    • Meeting multiple times a week
    • Making lots of progress with hardware and software
  • Power Wheels
    • Taking lego car to NYC Maker Faire
  • Wood Shop
    • Got large Dust collector
    • Need new 220V line
  • Automatic dues payment system
    • Wild Apricot
    • Chad to have meeting with Pete from Milwaukee makerspace.
    • We're starting it up!
  • Vending Machine
    • Coin and bill reader added
    • Chad and Geno working on it
  • Laser Cutter
    • Currently running at 80 watts.
    • We have the $ to buy a new tube. Will buy soon.
  • Safety Report
    • Need to test alarms!

Old Business

New Business

  • Grants
    • Becky?
      • County Grant with Dale
      • Sprout
      • Neighborhood Allies
  • Security risk for allowing large groups of random strangers take classes at shop?
    • We will have a formal process for this for easy monitoring and have all contact info for every person
    • We already ask everyone who comes in here to sign a waiver
    • Cameras will help
  • Outreach gets us $!
    • Remake Learning donating $300 for us to come and make pancakes.
    • School giving us $ to fix their printer.
    • Guy giving us money to make some coasters.
  • SBU for tools
    • Training
    • Checklists as well... Checklists ≠ Training
  • Vcarve Pro Software
    • $100/yr
    • Generates gcode from STL files
    • Makes CNC machine easy to use
    • Current HackPGH members and other makerspaces use it
    • James Hyde will teach a class on how to use it
    • Already purchased
  • Cameras
    • Remove 1 month intro period when cameras are installed
    • Vote on this!
      • 7 vote in favor
      • 2 against
      • 1 abstained
        • Motion for addendum: Wait until we have insurance policy before removing 1 month period
        • Becky seconds
        • 6 in favor
        • 2 against
        • 2 abstained
  • Make volunteer hour duties more defined
    • Repackage volunteer hours as a social community event
      • Bring back Finish it Friday?
  • New Space
    • Move next door.
    • We are going to create a working group to help facilitate this.
    • Going to meet on Sunday
      • HackPGH Move plan
      • Business Plan
      • 3 scenarios
      • Rough costs about space Monday
      • Need to create a diverse working group (~6 members)
      • Start meeting on Sunday
      • Working group will discuss
        • Renovation plans
        • How/When we move
        • Ways to afford space
        • Present ideas to membership


  • Need to put our old forums on the website
    • Adam will look into it

Project RollCall

  • Dave
    • Camera mount
    • IOT microscope for Chris Quick
  • Joachim
    • Converting refrigerator motor to internal combustion engine
  • Geno
    • Video game with Unreal Engine
    • Telescope auto focuser with Arduino

New Member Induction

  • Sam Kusic
    • Approved
  • Jim Leonard
    • Approved
  • Matt Kaprol
    • Approved

Move to Adjourn

  • Eli motions
    • Becky seconds
      • Adjourned 8:33pm
Meeting notes by Geno