Member Meeting Minutes for October 06, 2010

From HackPittsburgh Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


  • New Members
  • Recent Events
  • Upcoming Events
  • Shop Updates
  • Votes
  • Action Items
  • Called to order at about 7:15pm

Minutes by Agenda Topic

Attendees: Logan, Ed, Matt S. Friar, Doug, Tim, Matt M., Josh, Mandy

New Members

  • Ed P. - not present last time, intro this time!
    • Ed is a serial hobbyist, and is interested in electronics and crafting. Ask him AVR questions.

Recent Events

  • Andy resigns from the council. Thanks Andy, for your service to the shop! There is now a council opening.
    • Entails being in the shop and helping out.
    • We're required to have 3 named officers, and would prefer to have four.
  • Hackerspaces in Space Balloon competition results!
    • We took 4th place, congratulations everyone!
  • Sep 17: Friday night Intro To Test Equipment
    • Explained the basic use of oscilloscope, power supplies, and multimeters
  • Sep 19: Ham Radio Exams, CMU, 4pm
    • Tim mentioned that Salvation Army Parkway Center Disaster Center does ham classes/tests, but we couldn't find any references on
  • Sep 19: Shopcation - Ham Cram!
    • Matt S held a ham cram where Friar and Matt B. successfully studied for their licenses.
  • Sep 20: A photographer from PopCity was at the shop (evening) normal hours 7pm+
    • Need to follow up on when the article comes out
  • Sep 25-26: World Maker Faire in NYC.
    • Six HackPittsburgh members and two HackPGH East members attended the Faire.

Upcoming Events

  • Oct 8: ??
  • Oct 8: The Pittsburgh Perl Workshop Plus, Member Matt M will be giving a talk.
  • Oct 15: Doug, Origami night, but Zombie Opera instead?
  • Oct 16: Central PA Open Source Conference. Plus, member Chris T will be giving a talk.
  • Oct 17: Shop cleanup days October Work Party
    • Chris T will look into sealant, and can get discount for paint.
  • Oct 22: Harry, Advanced NBEMS.
  • Oct 29: Halloween party?
  • Nov 5: Learn to Juggle with Matt S. and Josh
  • Sponsored Balloon Launch - Monday nights!
    • Component One is now sponsoring the balloon project!
    • They provide data visualization solutions, and are interested in balloon telemetry.
  • Nov 7th - WACOM HamFest, Washington PA, 8am-2pm
    • HackPittsburgh been offered the possibility of a free booth.
      • Doors open for vendor set up at 6am, but Saturday night setup is OK too.
    • VE Session at 10AM! (Another General Ham study class opportunity!)
    • Doug to let WACOM know if we want to take them up on it or not.
  • Potential group projects:
    • PowerWheels
    • Kinetic art bike
    • Anything that floats - part of the Pittsburgh Regatta, a local event we could get some PR/exposure for.
    • Another balloon launch
    • Members with additional ideas please email the list.

Shop Updates

  • We now have 15 soldering irons for the shop.
  • Donations, etc: (including 8 years of QST magazine)
  • A large number of generic HackPittsburgh business cards are on the way.
  • Door project status
    • Temporary solution in place to allow occupants to energize strike plate while sitting at table
    • Friar is working diligently to get this going
    • Members who don't have an RFID card, please see Friar to get one.
    • Will have it operating in the shop for a week or two to stress test it before it goes operational.
  • SIP phone update (that noise in the corner) (Chris T is point on this).
    • Waiting for Dale to get back to us with his network guys info (Matt S. is on point)
    • We have an offer for a payphone from Golan Levin at CMU, we just need to arrange to pick it up.
  • New Projector - approved at last members meeting, but not yet ordered, models being considered.
  • Vacuform table under way. (Matt S. and Ed)
  • Halloween Party!
    • We'll be holding it here at HackPittsburgh
    • If you have interest in helping out, email Mandy (or the members list)
    • Scheduled for Oct. 29th

Future Plans

  • Friar: vi tips and tricks Friday talk
  • Friday night events: we need advance marketing. Advanced PR really helps.
  • EggBot: Matt B. is willing to let us use it for ping pong sales.
  • Logan: Mead class
  • Alternative energy: Friar will talk to VOX energy about coming to give a talk.


  • Matt M. raised a proposal to end the meeting; Doug seconded.
    • Motion passed with 7 ayes and 2 nays.

Meeting adjourned at 8:11pm

Action Items

  • Matt M: Multimeter procurement
  • Matt S: Projector procurement