Member Meeting Minutes for March 19, 2014

From HackPittsburgh Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes by Agenda Topic

  • Attendees:
    • Anthony
    • Chad
    • Dan
    • Greg
    • Geno
    • Mr. J Scott Hamilton
    • Joey (King of Awesome)
  • Called to order at:
    • 7:32pm

New Members

  • None

Recent Events

  • Thursday Mar 6: Lockpick
    • Dan says all went well. Someone came for a communications class to write an article about Pittsburgh Oddventures. Dan will pass along the details later.
  • Friday Mar 14: Board Games
    • Was not well advertised. Poor turnout.

Upcoming Events

  • Thursday Mar 20: Sketchup/3D Printer
    • It's advertised, see you tomorrow!
  • Thursday Mar 27: Intro to Linux night (using a VM)
    • Need to get help to organize this. Contact Anthony if interested
  • Thursday April 3: Lockpick
  • Friday April 11: Digital Games
  • Thursday April 17: Oscilloscope (how to use)
    • Geno is the point of contact
  • Thursday April 24: Hacking clothes?
    • Chad is trying to contact a friend about this meeting.
    • If you have ideas, contact Chad

Potential Thursday Night talks/events

  • (Recurring) game night second Friday every month, switch between digital(video games) and analog(board games)
    • No Thursday event preceding day (possibly do Galileo on this Thursday)
  • (Recurring) Shop Show-and-Tell (Quarterly)
    • Next scheduled in sometime in May
  • (Recurring) Sketchup
    • First meeting is occurring tomorrow... be there!
  • Finite State Machines
    • Contact Anthony/Greg
  • Build your own h-bridge
  • Object Oriented Software development
    • Contact Greg/Joey
  • Reverse engineering
    • The ATM
    • The G35 Light protocol
  • OpenCV/Computer Vision
    • Contact Anthony
  • High security locks
  • Anyone?

Unscheduled Classes

  • Welding class for members
    • We need to talk to Gabe for scheduling.
    • Waiting on Gabe. Can handle 7-8 students. A few bucks for class materials and pizza.
    • Still pending...
  • Ham radio test.
    • Gene


Learning Tracks

  • Arduino Track:
    • Learn to Solder (done)
    • Intro Programming (done)
    • Diode Shield (Done)
    • Sensors, sensors, sensors!
      • April 19th
    • Analog circuits (OpAmps)
      • May TBD
    • Intro to Motor Control
    • Advanced Motor Control

Shop Projects

  • Window Lights project - lights in the windows!
    • Gene is working on syncing the prototyping board with the outside display
    • Need to add switch to toggle between board and lights
    • The software group is working on this on the first and third Monday nights of every month... Come out
  • High altitude balloon
    • Will start combined meeting with UAV club
  • Power wheels
    • 006 ——> Delorian!
    • Need to start ASAP
      • Will kick off Weds March 12th
    • Eli got and tested fuses for car.
    • Found a controller for the Jeep (needs diode for controller protection)
    • Not at MakerFaire but maybe PGH Vintage Grand Prix.
      • Jim needs to talk to them
    • Possibly at the White House
      • No word Yet.
    • Software group will start working on Telemetry data...
      • Contact Greg/Gary
  • CNC Router
    • Eli got a computer (needs tested).
    • We need to finish assembling.
    • Need to make an enclosure.
  • Setup e-stop for tools
    • Gabe has parts, Chad will pick a day to set this up.
      • Thursday we will start!
    • Gabe will get another reader. Needed to use the one to this for the door.
      • Started working on it. Looking for a good enclosure for parts.
      • We have the parts!
    • Gabe and Chad to work on RFID control for tool area.
  • Signal Generator
    • FINISHED!!!! Thanks to Geno!
  • Eli will implement some "random stuff" dispositioning systems... eventually

Shop Updates

  • 3D Printer
    • Bed has been aligned
    • Workstation Added for 3-D Printer
    • Soon we will be doing training on the 3-D Printer.
      • TRAINING!!! Talk to Chad, Anthony or Eli!
    • Now have Black, Gold and White Filament.
    • Pay System
      • We will be using a Gram Scale for now. (Honor System)
      • Pricing @ 5 cents a gram!.
  • Server Rack / Network
    • Now running Minecraft server, in test mode for now
    • Need to work out how to remote into server for admin
  • WiiMote Whiteboard
    • See Greg or Chad to show you how to hook it up!
  • Mugs - Gabe is the point of contact
    • $15 each, $20 for mug personalized with text at bottom
    • In stock in the shop! BUY ONE
  • Misc Unused Tools In Shop
    • Gabe selling Punch tool and other misc.
    • Other Options
      • Garage sale in... (Wait till the weather breaks).
        • When we do… Choose a date. Need to get advanced word out... (Wait till the weather breaks).
      • Donate it to other places (As it was bestowed to us, we bestow it onto you).
      • Craigslist
    • Items:
      • Metal punch (Junior)
      • DVD duplicator (On Craigslist)
  • ~May garage sale

New Shop Projects

  • DrawBot
  • Window web interface
  • Refrigerator to TARDIS

Old Business

  • Mini-MakerFaire Planning
    • Chad to take over.
  • Laser Cutter (AKA Frickin Lasers!)
    • Talking to other People/Hackerspaces to go in on a group buy.
    • Chad expects buy to be ~April
  • Gene suggests participating at FIRST event at CalU, need to register by ~first week of march for volunteers.
    • Booth to show off shop projects, support the event
  • Chad will create opt-in contact list on Google docs
    • contact info for members to contact each other
      • Done! Contact a board member for access!
  • Scott^2 wants to get HackPittsburgh presence in "new economy working group"
    • Scott^2 has not been involved lately, waiting to here more
  • Starting an "advisory board" to take input from members who want to have a more active role in shop direction
    • Need formal proposal, this is under new business
  • Vote to rename "Council" to "Board"
    • Vote passed
  • Eli is stepped down from Board (formerly council)
  • Gene is the new board member, welcome Gene!
  • Meeting time to 7:30pm
    • Greg was confused that there was anything different
    • Geno appreciated the extra time before work and thinks it should continue


New Business

  • Greg makes a motion to move the next meeting at 7:30pm and start promptly
    • Dan seconds, the meeting next meeting will be held at 7:30pm
  • We are interested in reviewing our by-laws and and updating
    • Greg is the point of contact, will follow up after this meeting
    • Please read the current Constitution and contact Greg

Move to Adjourn

  • Greg moves to adjourn
    • Dan seconds
    • Meeting adjourned at 8:13pm