Member Meeting Minutes for July 16, 2019

From HackPittsburgh Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

HackPGH member’s meeting agenda for July 16th, 2019

Call to order

  • Simon called the meeting to order at 7:35 PM.

Attendees

  • Simon Heath, President
  • Sean Guzek, Vice-President
  • Bethany Klick, Treasurer
  • Becky Zajdel, Secretary
  • Chad Elish, awesome former President
  • Zuri Woods
  • Alex Reasinger
  • Phil Garrow
  • Gil Tygart Sr.
  • Geno Soroka
  • Joe Newcomer (via Google Hangouts)
  • Robert Bedel (via Google Hangouts)
  • Ezra Juliar - NEW MEMBER! WOOOO
    • Ezra used to be a member at TechShop, and he's interested in touch screens and Arduino coding

Quote of the Day

  • "A clean and neat dwelling place is the sign of a disturbed mind.

Recognition of awesomeness

* Bea, Phil, Geno, Bebo, Kris, Becky, Chad, Robert B.

Quote of the Day

  • A clean and neat dwelling place is the sign of a disturbed mind! - Skandrannon Rashkae

Old business

  • Let's just schedule a heckin' date to sword the brush out of the hill. And pull down tree branches; the storm on July 11 brought some down.
    • Thanks to Phil for clearing them out!
    • We will set a date and ensure we have the proper tools to clear the brush
  • We plan on ordering gravel for the parking lot.
    • Board will look at pricing. Dale (our landlord) has given his blessing to add gravel and decrease the swamps of Dagobah that keep appearing after storms.
  • We got a grand total of 16 laptops from Consol, thanks Robert! They are 2011-2013 era, mostly very much "office worker" tier. AMD Phenom II or A4, 2 GB of RAM. But there's one quite good one that can probably run Fusion 360: newer, with a 2nd gen Core i7. About half of them need hardware fixes (mostly new RAM and hard drives), all of the functioning ones need to be reinstalled from scratch, 3/4 of them have Windows 7 license stickers. They basically ALL need power bricks and batteries though. Hey Simon, find out how much those cost!
    • Becky's parents are donating their 8-year old iMac. It has a large screen.
  • We got Adobe Creative Suite, does it need installed on the shop desktop? Thanks Adam for ordering it.
  • Chad has a meeting with MakerNet immediately following this Members' Meeting.
    • We are waiting to get on the beta ASAP.
  • Six weeks or so ago we were approached by a guy offering to help us get a grant for half a million bucks. After several meetings and some long debates and some advice from other people who have experience fundraising, the board turned him down. If we want to raise that sort of money though, it IS possible, and we CAN do it. Keep it in the back of your minds, people. We could hire someone full-time to do outreach, scheduling and ride herd on scholarship students.

New business

  • Shop clean is officially changed to Sunday, August 4th!
    • Please come and help keep our shop clean and free of flies!
  • Becky is applying for small to medium-sized grants
    • McAuley Ministries
      • Becky met with the director of McAuley Ministries, we are up for a $5,000 grant to be disbursed in October. We just have to complete the official online application.
    • FISA Foundation - they give out grants for those who help disabled women
  • AIR CONDITIONING
    • Dale wants to install a full HVAC system in the entire building, that would be $10k
      • Could we do a temporary solution?
      • Because of health concerns, we want this as soon as possible.
      • We are considering a fundraiser, so please contact the Board if you'd like to contribute!
  • We want to officially post the free classes online (and libraries, etc.), and offer scholarships.
    • We voted on this a long time ago, but typically we can offer 1 free slot for a class size of five and under and then 2 if the class size is ten and under.
    • This is also at the discretion of the instructor/Board. Sometimes there are age and safety issues.
  • The Board (or motivated members) really needs to print out a quick-reference guide and have it available somewhere easy to find: How to give tours, how to lock up upon leaving, the basic stuff new members need to know. We need to get rid of some of those big printers and replace them with a filing cabinet.
  • The Board has discussed the possibility of hiring an intern or something part-time to help run the non-shop parts of the organization: scheduling, communication, coordination, advertising. Discuss. Simon does NOT want this person to take care of the shop itself, he thinks that should be explicitly member's jobs. It's our shop, we take care of it.

Shop updates

  • Keep the place clean!
    • This isn't the board nagging you. We recently found hundreds of flies AND parasitic eggs. Make sure kitchen and tables get wiped down after use, trash gets taken outside when it's full, floor gets swept! If this doesn't work, we will HAVE to ban food in the shop, so let's make it work.
  • Front door -- ordered MORE parts to fix it
  • City is getting bitchier about recycling -- we need to separate glass and plastic into separate bins, and we can ONLY recycle "plastic bottles that have a neck"
  • Simon hopes to make a "stuff to get rid of" pile and then Craigslist it sometime around the shop clean. Unfortunately, the holo projector box will probably be on the list, since we can't find a museum to take it. Thanks for trying, Phil!
  • We have dust filters! They are sitting in the shop.
    • We just have to choose a date for installation and mounting.
  • We have a fridge! It will be delivered on Thursday. It has french doors, ice, and filtered water.

Voting items

  • None! Yay

Project updates

  • Anyone got stuff?

Events

* July 18th -- Intro to Arduino Programming with Joe Newcomer
* July 21st -- Circuit Design session 2
* July 23rd -- Circuit Design session 3
* July 25th -- Uptown Community Subcommittee meetings
* July 28th -- Open Streets PGH,  we're getting a table with liquid nitrogen ice cream and WE NEED VOLUNTEERS
* August 4th -- Shop clean!
* August 3rd -- Welding 101 with Kiefer
* August 7th -- Next meeting!
* August 17th -- Computer Building Workshop

Move to adjourn

Meeting was adjourned at 8:55 PM

Meeting minutes typed by Becky "The Icebox" Zajdel