Member Meeting Minutes for February 3, 2010
- Welcome New Members
- Recent News
- Upcoming Events
- Council Election
- Wall Debate
Minutes by Agenda Topic
Attendees: Matt S., Dean, Marek, Mandy, Andy, Matt M., Chris (New!), Bonnie, Isaac, Val, Lorrie, Forest, Logan, Willy, Gwen, Doug, Derrick, Jon Speicher, Joshua Smith
Welcome New Members!
- Welcome Chris!
- Welcome Willy!
- Powerpoint Karaoke 2 Fridays ago.
- Jim may have some video of it. We should get it!
- Atari Punk Console workshop last Friday was a great success. All kits were sold, some twice. :)
- Anyone who would like to get a kit but didn't have a chance, we have 25 more boards. Tell Matt S. or Andy if you are interested
- We have a wall! It separates the workshop from the main shop area.
- There is video on the blog!
- Finishing touches remain. More discussion later.
- During the wall building, the big trashbins were bagged up. This sucked.
- So: loose trash goes in bags, not in the big bins.
- This Friday (Feb 5): Intro to Documentation Lighting w/ Bonnie and Matt M.
- How to set up a light box at home
- Bring cameras and projects to photograph!
- This Tuesday (Feb 9): Make:PGH at HackPittsburgh!
- Two speakers - Matt M. and Laser Harp, Marty and MakerBot
- Surprise guided project!
- Open discussion
- NOTE: We need presenters for March, April, etc! Send email to email@example.com
- Wednesday (Feb 10): Discussion of Electrical buildout
- Next Friday (Feb 12): Hacker Olympics!
- Matt S. will get us started with our parallel Olympics. Details will be announced leading up to the event.
- Friday After (Feb 19): Arduino + Gumband SMS
- Sayan will show us how to use Arduino, a prepaid cellphone, and gumbands API to collect data from the Arduino
- Sunday, Feb 19: Next members meeting
- Friday, Feb 26: Intro to Ponoko
- Forest will teach us about the Ponoko laser cutting service
Logan suggests a class on Mead! Ideas seems well liked
- Marty McGuire
- Andy Leer
- Matt Stultz
- Matt Mets
Motion is made to vote in all nominees by claim. Seconded.
Motion passes with all "aye"s except for one abstention.
Matt S. makes a proposal:
- spackle the wall to cover seams between plywood
- cover the bottom ~8 feet with whiteboards (which we have already)
- shelving above for longer-term storage
- move projection screen to the new wall
- clears the current projection wall for shelves and workspaces
Doug makes a proposal:
- projection screen in the center
- shelves on either side
No decisions have been made.
- Lawrence M. Hayhurst - Head of CMU Collaborative Machining Center
- Proposed that CMU combine its disparate and limited machine shops into a larger collaborative shop
- Trying to bring attention to this idea by example.
- Inspired by Berkeley community machine shops.
- Aware of other companies in Pittsburgh that also like the model. Might be able to make donations.
- Might be able to help us acquire/test machines?
- And help teach people how to use them!
- Wants to make sure real machining skills are passed on!
- Take charge of the wall!