Member Meeting Minutes for Dec 18, 2018

From HackPittsburgh Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Called to Order

  • The meeting was called to order at:

Attendees

  • Chad Elish, President
  • Becky Zajdel, Secretary
  • Adam Longwill, Board Member
  • Alex Reasinger
  • Jacques Parker
  • Sean Guzek
  • Bethany Klick
  • Nathan Lutz
  • Paul Kyros
  • Phil Garrow
  • Brian "Beebo: Esch
  • Corey Lipchik
  • Geno Soroka
  • Dave Olcott
  • Rachel Ballance
  • Rob Martin (via Google Hangouts)
  • Alan Bachmann (via Google Hangouts)

New Members

Guest Introductions

  • Nur Nildirim
    • Nur is a PhD Student at CMU. She is studying Human-Computer Interaction!

Quote

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde

Past Events

  • Tools, training, and lots of fun things!

Future Events

  • Micro-controller Meeting on Wednesday, December
  • Shop Clean on Sunday December 30th
  • Please check the calendar as three shop tours/training sessions are cancelled due to the holidays!

Shop Updates

  • Previous Voted Items
    • The vote to use HackPGH funds to pay for the solar-powered park bench tied 10-10 (with two abstentions). The vote will now go to the Board for a final ruling.
    • The vote to enter into a relationship with WorkShopPGH. We will let them use our space for our classes and they will teach classes for Hack!
      • We will talk to them about where funds from the class proceeds will go.
  • PSAs
    • Please clean up after yourself.
    • Also, please let the board know if we are running low on shop supplies!
      • You can either use the Alexa wand or let Board-Member-Becky know when supplies are low!
  • Please check out the new and improved Constitution! https://wiki.hackpgh.org/index.php?title=Constitution
    • Adam went through the past few years of votes and updated the Constitution thusly.
      • One of the new rules is that children aged six and under are not welcome at HackPGH. This is a safety and insurance rule - we want to keep children and our members safe! We will be sending out an email regarding this rule.
        • If you see a child six and under at the shop, you may politely approach the guardian and remind them of the rule, or simply report the issue to a Board Member.
  • Outreach
    • Tustin Tot Lot
      • The Board will decide whether or not to purchase the park bench.
  • Tools
    • Phil Donated tools
      • Thanks, Phil!

Old Business

  • Election for Treasurer
    • Over at Friday at 8
      • We have three candidates for the new Board Member: Rob Martin, Bethany Klick, and Simon Heath!
  • Power Racing
    • We need a Team Captain for Power Racing.
    • We are opening nominations for Team Captain, so send in your nominations to the info account or Becky now!
  • Shop Tours
    • We have cancelled three upcoming tours and training sessions because of the holidays.
  • Maker Event called "PGH WinterHack"
    • February 23rd
    • Please contact Mpac on Slack if you are interested in participating in the event!


New Business

  • Nur Yildirim is here visiting the space!
    • Nur is a PhD student at CMU. She is studying Human-Computer Interaction.
      • She is specifically studying tools and fabrication. She is interested in how people use tools like 3D printers, CNC routers, and laser printers.
      • She wants to interview Makers here at Hack (for a half-hour, hour max) to see how we use tools and ask how our tools can be improved.
      • Her ultimate goal is to see if she can intervene and "democratize" tools with higher learning curves.
  • Coffee and Crafts & Did I make that?
    • Crafts is a very loose term: From self-defense to CPR to sewing and crafting.
    • Did I make that? We will be focusing on actual handmade items that we can replicate.
  • New Classes
    • We are always on the lookout for new classes! We are still technically registered for The Red Cross' CPR/AED/First Aid. Please contact Becky if you are interested in this class so she can re-register!
    • Dan Dongilli is willing to teach a self-defense class, but we need to gauge interest first.
  • Woodshop Build-Out Project Kickoff Meeting on January 12, 2019 from 6-8PM
    • We want to get as much involvement upgrading the woodshop (using the grant money that Rob got us!) as we can!
    • We will try to lay out what the requirements are with dust collection, air quality, electrical, etc. and come up with a general budget.
  • The Board is having some issues with Wild Apricot.
    • Some members have been suspended without their knowledge. You may not be able to bring your membership up to date alone - PLEASE CONTACT A BOARD MEMBER if this is the case.

Project Updates

  • Adam wants to complete his Tyco Racetrack's Super Duper Double Looper, but needs help to make it work.
  • Sean announced that the large CNC is in pieces again for upgrades. However, if you have a project where a CNC is needed Sean and Simon can help you!
    • Also, the small CNC is officially functional again!

Recognition for AWESOMENESS

  • Thank you Phil for your donations and everything you do for the shop.
  • Thanks Bethany, Sean, and Mpac for doing tours and everything!
  • Thank you Steve Owens for continuing to document everything!
  • Thanks again to Rob for getting the grant!
  • Thanks to Ryan for coming in and fixing the printers!

Move to Adjourn

The meeting was adjourned at: 8:34 PM

Minutes written by: Becky "The Icebox" Zajdel