LEAD Balloon Project
HackPittsburgh entered the 2010 Hackerspaces in Space contest (http://www.workshop88.com/space). This page will be used to document our progress in the competition and any other works in near space balloon flights.
Lofted Electronic Aerial Device Balloon Project
On March 13th Lofted Electronic Aerial Device Balloon Project or LEAD Balloon Project was selected as the project name.
During the first planning meeting we agreed on categories of things that would need to be completed for a successful launch and competition.
- Launch Checklist
- April 17th 2010 - scrubbed, bad weather
- June 13th 2010 - scrubbed, bad weather
- A1 July 3rd 2010 - trial balloon launched! We made it 97k feet.
- A2 Aug 8th 2010 - official contest launch. We did it!
- Balloon A3
- B1 - August 27, 2011
- C1 - Nov 11, 2012 We made it to 111,759 feet !
A2 track, KMZ: Media:20100808-A2-KB3TAN-11.kmz
B1 new-tracker track, KMZ: Media:20110827-B1-KB3TOA-11.kmz
B1 old-tracker track, KMZ: Media:20110827-B1-KB3TAN-11.kmz
- First chute test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNuhAdYfWXw
- No chute test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dgFspK7V_I
- Small chute bridge test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTzzfnfCHvk
- Large chute bridge test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdrTl-VHqE